Friday 22 June 2012

My Testimonial

I am writing to tell you about my time as an Au Pair in Montclair, New Jersey.  I decided to take a year off of school to learn a little about myself before finishing my studies.  I decided to do the Au Pair programme because it seemed interesting and I had no idea what to expect on the other side.  I am glad I listened to my gut feeling because my time in New Jersey changed me as a person for the better.

I lived with a family that had 3 boys.  They were 6, 9 and 12 when I arrived.  My family was great.  The kids and I mostly spend our days together playing sports or doing something they liked, we always planned to try new things.  That is what I loved most about them they were always open to trying new things.  When I arrived I wasn't even in the door 2 hours before the phone started ringing and other au pairs from my neighbourhood were calling to take me out and get to know me.  That was comforting.  I met with girls from all over the world.  We did everything together on our time off.  We would usually meet in the evenings for coffee or to watch a movie or just chit chat.  There were times where we were lucky to have corresponding schedules and were able to travel on our time off as well.  I was able to visit Washington DC twice, Boston, Philly, Connecticut, Maryland, New York City and several smaller day trips.  I was also lucky enough to join the family for several long weekends at their summer home in Maryland.  It was so relaxing and peaceful.  Sometimes they went there to hang out with family and I was fortunate enough to have the time to spend with friends back in New Jersey.  On August of 2007 the family surprised me with a trip to Italy!  I joined them along with their relatives on a 2 week trip to Rome and Tuscany, amazing!

On our weekends, the other au pairs that I had gotten close to and I always tried to do things together to get to know the area we were living or we tried to do some sight seeing.  IT was truly an awesome experience from start to finish.  I had to say goodbye to so many great friends, which was hard but we made promises and plans to see each other again one day.  I am sure I will get to travel to their home countries as well they will come to visit me in Canada.

My relationship with my host family was great as well.  It was very laid back and they respected me as a woman and know how important it was for me to have my privacy.  They supported my opinion and treated me with love.  I decided after my one year there in New Jersey that I wasn't ready to leave yet so I decided to extend my stay an extra 9 months.  I arrived in NJ in October 2006 and finally packed my bags back to Canada in August 2009.  It was the best years in my life to date.  I learned so much about myself, the world, and I also learned that being a mother is something I definitely want to do.  My friends joke around and tell me I was a 'mommy in training'.  haha.  I would recommend this program to anyone who may feel they want to take a year to get to know themselves, gain some independance, meet great friends and take time to explore and area you know nothing about.  The first that I met there in New Jersey I keep in contact with on a weekly basis.  My best friends are in Sweden, Germany, Denmark, South Africa, Mexico and Finland!  In closing I would like to say, if your up for taking a chance and want to grow as a person, do it...you will not regret it!:)

Misha

15 comments:

  1. Hi Misha

    Thanks for sharing your experience of being an au pair in New Jersey! What a great opportunity that was and to get a surprise trip to Italy must of been amazing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also went through Scotia Personnel to work at a summer camp in Italy. I was so much fun and I enjoyed all the yummy Italian food I got to eat.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Scotia Personnel gave me an opportunity to go to Italy and work at a summer camp. I loved seeing the sights of Italy on my days off and working with children and meeting new people was a great pleasure of this job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I worked as an au pair in holland! it was a great time where i met new people, travelled across europe and gained what feels like a whole new family!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Au pair in America program is a wonderful experience for young people contemplating traveling away from home for the first for an extended period of time. This program provides for airfare, medical, visa and salary. It is a tremendous opportunity to travel and experience the culture of the US. Please see Au pair in America's website for further details www.aupairinamerica.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  6. I went to work at a hotel in England through Scotia Personnel and now I am thinking about doing another program. Your time as an au pair in the USA sounds incredible!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I did a kid's summer camp as a camp leader in the UK through Scotia Personnel and had a summer of a lifetime! This was my first summer away from home but I met young people from all over the world including people from Australia, New Zealand and Europe. The team from Scotia Personnel were great and just wanted to thank them again!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am so excited I cannot wait I am going to do my second program in the United States.I had a wonderful time in Europe.This should be a blast again.How I like to travel and work with children.Thank you Richelle and everyone at Scotia Personnel.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mischa, It is so great to read about your experiences as an Au Pair in the USA. I also did a program and had so much fun! My host family were AMAZING!!! I got to travel on my time off and made so many new friends!

    ReplyDelete
  10. It’s really interesting to go back thru these blogs and read all the comments people of left of their experiences! Thanks a bunch guys!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I was reading thru this awesome blog and just wanted to write a comment about my experience as an au pair. I have been an au pair in America through Scotia Personnel. I’ve had such a wonderful time! My host family was great to me! Working with children and travelling are my two most favourite things. I’ve travelled throughout the US with the family. As well, I’ve met other au pairs through the program from all over the world. Now I have free room and board wherever I travel and great friends as well :). I’ve had such a wonderful time!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I had the pleasure of working with Scotia personnel through my experience as an au pair one year in the states and following with six months in China. I've always dreamed about traveling and experience another culture but never knew how or where to start. I heard from college school mates and family and friends about this angency so naturally this was the way to go. And I can't tell you enough how an amazing feeling it is to put ideas and dreams into reality.

    The Scotia personnel staff is very friendly, patient and incouraging when it comes to the process of getting ready to work and experience abroad. Any questions I had they reassured me and helped me through my process so I was one step closer to being abroad. The best thing was they share the excitement of your adventures and incourages to keep pursing them. I was blessed with two amazing host families and friendships with people despite having to part ways to our own countries once we where done, When the contract ends, we knew we would be life long friends despite the distance and time, cause sharing these kinds of experiences a hard to forget,

    I highly recommend jumping in and starting the processes right away, they will help you through the applications, interviews, questions and of provided reassurance when you feel uncertainty when leaving your comfort space (your country and home).

    I am still processing my Life changing experiences in just a short time period and i think I will be reflecting for the rest of my life , if it wasn't for this well established angency I may not have gotten to do all the experiences I got to do and for that I am very grateful.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Scotia personnel is an incredible company! The vast opportunities they offer has something for everyone. They treat everyone like family from the moment you walk in their door. Creating opportunities all around the world with your safety being their number one priority. I could not say enough good things about this company.



    I just recently came back from tutoring in Italy and I wanted to share how amazing my experience was! It was honestly the best summer of my life and I am so grateful for every thing that Scotia personnel did for me; Thank you so much. I made so many friends while travelling who I am already planning on going to go see. The food was so good In Italy. I have done a fair amount of travelling but have never had an experience as authentic as this one. Living and working with a host family I picked up Italian so easily being completely immersed in it. Obviously the locals no all of the best spots and my host family was so excited for me to fall In love with their country that they took me everywhere. Paying for everything. They also took me to Switzerland and Germany so not only did I get to go to one country I got to experience 3. The two little girls will forever be like little sisters to me. I encourage everyone to participate one of the many programs offered the hardest part was choosing what country to go to. The experience was extremely safe and organized and I am very happy to have worked with Scotia personnel.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Working as an English tutor in Italy was an experience I won't ever forget. I would like to thank Scotia Personnel for the opportunity. Having the opportunity to live in Italy for three months was amazing. My host family was great, they were very accommodating, generous and welcoming, and the kids I looked after and tutored became like younger siblings to me, and made me feel like part of the family. They even invited me to stay with them again next year.
    When not working, I had time off on the weekends, where I would travel to amazing places around northern Italy, or hang out with my host family, where we would go on their boat around Lake Como, where we would swim, wakeboard, and occasionally watch fireworks. I also got to eat so many delicious foods as well as have ice cream or gelato almost every day, something I don't get to do in Canada.
    My experience working in Italy gave me the confidence to solo travel and I was able to meet new and interesting people, as well as getting to experience a different culture, cuisine, and environment that I hadn't before. I would definitely recommend this wonderful opportunity and experience. Overall my time in Italy, and working as a tutor was great, and I would love to get the opportunity to go back again.

    ReplyDelete